Search This Blog

September 23, 2015

Stone Soup

 Then Hezekiah said, "You have now dedicated yourselves to the Lord.
Come and bring sacrifices and thank offerings to the temple of the Lord."
So the assembly brought sacrifices and thank offerings, and all whose hearts
were willing brought burnt offerings.
2 Chr. 29:31
 
 
 
1. Princess Sister brought root vegies this week to share with her royal family again and another friend reminded me of the story of stone soup. Basically it's a kid's story of sharing what little you have with others to make something marvelous out of it. We can hoard or we can give. A similar story is the one that a member of our worship team mentioned as we moved into our gratitude time during our church service Sunday morning -- one little boy shared his lunch of fish and bread that fed so many. I thank God for his provision of not only food, but also stories that inspire us to do great things together!
 

 

2. Thinking about Documented Faith this morning and of another way I can document my faith which is to write some biographies of my ancestors and including their faith. I already have a biography of my great-grandfather, Daniel LaRue on my History Nut of Missouri blog. I could then scrapbook a page for my notebook. I grew up in a Christian home and we attended the Church of God (Anderson, IN) church, but switched over to my husband's denomination after our church split. Since I've been doing family research, I've made an effort to document each ancestor's denomination as well, so all told I come from Catholic, Christian/Disciples of Christ, Church of God (Anderson, IN),  Methodist, Nazarene, and  Primitive Baptist  ancestors. No matter the doctrinal differences, I'm thankful for my Christian heritage.

3. I am so tickled that I stumbled across some of Stephanie's videos on the internet. Take for example this Vimeo video of her showing how she illustrates a key point in her Bible.

4. Speaking of food again this week, it reminded me of the church dinners we used to have not only at church but also after church Sunday afternoons at Shoney's. There were quite a large group of us who would fill up the back room at our local restaurant and it was a wonderful time of fellowship. Since it was such a large group of us, somebody or the other was always having a birthday or anniversary and the waitresses and waiters were happy to accommodate us in serenading the birthday female or male or anniversary couple (my mother once got serenaded and given a HUGE piece of chocolate cake -- he! he!)   Many of our friends have gone their separate ways and some have even graduated to heaven. I miss those fun times but am grateful for the fond memories.

5. I found this "heart" this week on my camera. I had forgotten I had taken it. It's two fish sticks stuck together that came out of the package that way. I couldn't bear to pull them apart because I immediately recognized the heart shape and so baked them together. Thank you, God, for your love notes found in unusual places!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. (Hebrews 12:28).