"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
My girlfriend, leading our weekly ladies Bible study at church said she required only one thing as a homework assignment and that was to write out a list of five things we were thankful for to share in class. I struggled with the assignment getting maybe one or two things written down each week, but as I kept at it, it became easier to find things, even little things, to put on the list.
And as I became better at cultivating gratefulness, my attitude changed. I found myself complaining less and found it easier to praise God and thank my family. My mind was being renewed. It's amazing how that works, isn't it? >J<
It was quite a revelation to me to find I actually enjoyed sharing and then learning what each of the ladies found to thank God for themselves. It spilled over into our corporate prayer-time as well as we discovered ourselves praising God for so much!
However, I "forgot" to keep at it when my girlfriend moved to another part of the country. Take it from me, it's so easy to slide back into a critical attitude. I decided that I intentionally had to assign myself an "cultivating appointment", hence this blog. I hope there will be others who will join me here and tell me what they are thankful for too. The American holiday, Thanksgiving, comes but once a year, but we can celebrate it all year long if we wish!
Okay, so here's my list of five things I'm thankful for this week:
1. A Faithful God and faithful friends.
2. I'm thankful that our son wasn't killed on New Years weekend when he ran into a concrete culvert between the highway lanes after skidding on a slick spot.
3. I'm thankful there was nobody in the warehouse where my husband works when the roof caved in from our recent heavy snow. I am so thankful for God's protection for both our son and my husband! Things can be replaced, but people can't.
4. I'm thankful that my husband, our son, and the neighbor next door was able to get our new-to-us side-by-side frig (an answer to prayer) in the house and that I was able to get it cleaned inside and out without too much problem.
5. I was delighted to see the yellow crocus' blooming across the street along the fence. I know, by the signs, that winter isn't forever!