Search This Blog

September 09, 2013

Two Types

I've observed that there are generally two types of people. One is either a verbal or a scribbler. When the world was created, the verbals had a head-start in communication, however, along came a person whose head was wired in a different way than his utter brothers and sisters. He had a bright idea to dig out some clay from a local riverbed, shape it into a clay tablet, and then scribble a pattern into it with a stick.


I believe Moses was a scribbler at heart. You know, a reserved, thinker type of guy who learned Egyptian hieroglyphics as a child, but as a man of action rather than diplomacy, he was lately used to the open spaces where his sheep grazed. I only understand too well the dilemma he found himself in when God asked him to go talk to Pharaoh about letting the Israelites go. He explains it to the Lord, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." (Exodus 4:10). Although God was angry at Moses for trying to weasel out of the job, He didn't let Moses off the hook and suggested his brother, Aaron, obviously a verbal, as his mouthpiece. Moses obeyed and because of his obedience, the Egyptians and the Israelites were shown the mighty, miraculous power of God. Then God said to Moses, "Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered. . ." (Exodus 17:14) and Moses, the humble scribbler, happy to use his own particular talent, wrote the first five books of the Bible which we still read today.


Through the ages how has technology developed for verbals? They have the telephone, radio, films, stereos, audio tapes, television, CD's, MP3 Players and now Skype on the internet. And yet, technology has also developed neck to neck for the scribblers -- it went from those simple clay tablets, to papyrus and parchment scrolls, Chinese paper, painting and printing, books, letters, telegraph, braille, sign language, cards, e-mail on the internet and texting.


God created each one of us and has generously given each one of us different gifts and kinds of service for the common good of Christian society. Thanks be to God! "The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable." (1 Corinthians 12:21-22). So verbals, you need us scribblers! We're the recorders and the historians, the writers, artists, and composers. Let's use the gifts we were given to encourage and strengthen each other and to praise God for his blessing of communication! "This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" (2 Corinthians 9:12-15).


Thanksgiving List =
1. I have struggled with aptly expressing myself with angry verbals, because I go blank when anxious. Then I feel intimidated when they demand I orally communicate with or apologize to them in the manner they are most comfortably skilled in. And, too, they usually prefer to not receive handwritten notes. I realize when we're angry, oftentimes we don't act in love. But because of the fear of saying the wrong thing, making the situation worse, I would rather back off, giving both of us time-out and a carefully written note, however I'm not often given the choice. I, needless to say, have not been very thankful for the gifting I received at conception. Today, though, I'm gonna thank my Daddy Lord for his generous lap and welcoming arms. He's my refuge and comfort when I've had a hard day amongst the utter ones.
2. I'm grateful for verbals who make me stretch and grow like my pastor who is faithful to preach from God's word every week! 
3. While our son worked nights, it was nice that I only had to fix dinner for my husband and I. And if we had errands to run, we could eat out. However, our son went back to days and the first night I fixed dinner for all three of us, he quietly thanked me. I was going to reach out and take his temperature to see if he was sick, but I didn't! *smile* Instead I basked in the glow of appreciation!
4. Praise the Lord for a repaired relationship -- it was good to see Caitie in church with her foster mother Carleta!
5. If you can read this, thank a teacher!


Addendum 9-18-2017 = "Dear Amy" has had several reader responses to a recent letter in her column from a woman who wanted to argue well. This woman wondered if it made sense to send her husband a letter outlining her grievances rather than to verbalize them. Several readers said letters were the best way to argue and that the act of writing out their thoughts has helped solve arguments before they even got started in many instances. And as my niece recently told me, hurtful verbalized words can be forgiven, but not easily forgotten. 

3 comments:

  1. I am BOTH. Not ever shy about sharing verbally....but when there is no one around to talk to - I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annette, for scribbling a comment on my little post today. Since we don't live near each other, I don't know your verbal skills, only your scribbler ones and they is good!. *wink* Have a heavenly day! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these "definitions"! I prefer verbal, and I'm OK at that, but my husband probably prefers me to scribble - because his ears wear out before he gets home! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. (Hebrews 12:28).