Search This Blog

December 20, 2013

The Light of Christmas


And

God said,
"Let there be light,"
and there was light.
God saw that the light was good,
and he separated the light from darkness.
~ Genesis 1:3-4
When I was little, my grandmother told me when her dad went into town, misjudged the time and was caught by the quickness of the descending darkness, her mother would put a candle in the window to guide her loved one home. Grandma said candlelight can be seen from far off when it is totally dark out on the flat, treeless prairies.


You
are my lamp,
O Lord; the Lord
turns my darkness into light.
~ 2 Samuel 22:29

 
My husband and I have been enjoying the Christmas TV show "The Light Fight." It's amazing to see the creativity every one has displayed so far with all the Christmas decorations and lights. I especially love the twinkly lights, but my favorite is the house that looked like a gingerbread house. I have a thing for decorated Christmas cottages. . .

What
is the way to
the abode of light?
~ Job 38:19a

 
 
Which brings me back to the reason for the season. It's not about Santa Claus or how many gifts we must buy or how many we will get or the red-nosed reindeer or how many lights we can put up on our houses to outshine our neighbors. Simply, the reason for Christmas is that Jesus was born as a baby to Mary and Joseph. He came to light the pathway to God's salvation.


"Then
Jesus cried out,
"When a man believes in me,
he does not believe in me only,
but in the one who sent me. When
he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me.
I have come into the world as a light, so that
no one who believes in me should stay in darkness."
~ John 12:44-46

 
So as you drive around your neighborhood this holiday season to view the Christmas light displays, remember those tiny bulbs represent His life and light. He brought light for everyone!  
Because
of the tender mercy
of our God, by which
the rising sun will come to us
from heaven to shine on those
living in darkness and in the shadow
of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.
~ Luke 1:78-79

 
I appreciate Jesus' birthday, because I have no hope of an eternal life in heaven without His assistance. I'm not good enough to get there on my own. I go to church, but that won't save me. I live a basically good life, but that's still not good enough to get me to heaven. I need Jesus. He lights up the bridge into heaven.


"I
saw
the Holy City,
the new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for
her husband. . .The city does not need the sun or the moon
to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp/"
~ Revelation 21: 2, 23.
 
My Thanks ☼

1. Jesus, the Christmas light!

2. The willingness of Mary and the missionary Paul to carry the light into the world!

3. For warm clothes, a warm house, and warm water to wash with!

4. For Bookworms, Librarians, and Packrats! Thank God for these three! They have made my hobby of researching my ancestors and magazine transcriptions so much easier. I'm glad they had the foresight to keep the history of this great nation from being tossed into a recycling bin somewhere.

5. I'm thankful for the Good Samaritan who helped my mother up when she fell on the ice last Friday taking the trash out.

6. And last, but never least, I appreciate my blog readers, whether you are a newbie or a re-Pete! Yes, you! Even if you don't add your gratitudes to this blog weekly like I do, you encourage me when you return to read my next postings. Thank you!

May you enjoy God's mercy, protection, grace, and the joy of His salvation this holiday season!

 
MERRY CHRISTMAS!


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post…..wishing you and your family a beautiful Christmas full of smiles.

    ReplyDelete

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. (Hebrews 12:28).