Search This Blog

November 12, 2013

Be the Change and Pass It On

I've been transcribing names from old national women's magazines for publication in the Missouri Genealogical Association Journal recently and ran across this letter in one of them. It goes along with my theme here of thankfulness.

 
It's Worth Trying
I was deeply impressed by a conversation I overheard while waiting my turn in a dentist office. A patient had come to tell the doctor what a fine job she felt he had done for her in making her a dental plate. I watched the look of pleasure and surprise that spread over his face as he said, "You mean to tell me you came clear back here solely for the purpose of thanking me? This is very unusual! Some of my patients find time to come and see me when they have a complaint to make, but very few ever return to praise."
I couldn't help thinking how true this is of most of us humans. I wondered if perhaps this old world wouldn't be a far different place if we were to make a practice of handing out the words of praise and thanks just as freely as we passed around the faultfinding and grumbling ones.
Perhaps this has become such a life-long habit, that it's too well rooted to make a change all at once but I'm certain that, with a little effort, we could remedy it considerably.
~ Mrs. Elsie LOOKER, Beloit, Wis
Woman's Day, New York, August, 1947.

 

This article tells me that human nature, being what it is, hasn't changed much. In fact, in 2000 years it hasn't according to this story found in Luke 17:11-19. Don't you think it makes the Bible still revelant today?

 

Ten Healed of Leprosy

Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"
When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.
One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him--and he was a Samaritan.
Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

 
A little less selfishness and a little more gratitude would make this world a better place to live. It starts with one person passing it on.

 
1. I'm thank God for friends who share my love of history, whose eyes don't glaze over when I talk about my latest exciting find! I explain genealogy to my friends like this -- it's a little like a scavenger hunt and and little like a jigsaw puzzle. If you like these games, it's a cinch you might like family research! J
2. I thank God for our new-to-us cousins found on ancestry.com!
3. I'm grateful that my latest medical screening test came out negative and I don't have to go back for 10 years! Woo hoo! Thank you, Lord, for your loving-kindness!
4. I'm thankful my mother-in-law's knee replacement surgery went well!
5. I'm thankful my old electric dryer lasted as long as it did. It gave good service for almost 20 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. (Hebrews 12:28).